How-to: Add sources for WatchTower
- Navigate to Board Configuration Screen. Tab General.
Add source URL and press Connect to validate source
- Choose authentication method based on target Jira Platform : Server/ DataCenter or Cloud
For establishing a connection with remote Jira instances, you can choose ONE of the options below:
Server source: username / password
Server source : personal access token
Personal access tokens (PATs) offer a secure way to integrate external applications with your WatchTower app, providing a safe alternative to using username and password for authentication.
Since WatchTower version 2.0.0 the app can add Jira Server sources accessible via SSO. ( via Personal Access Token)
- Available natively from Jira 8.14.0
- With Resolution SSO addon for versions below 8.14.0
- Server source : Application Link' box to use the functionality of standard Jira Application Links for accessing remote Jira source.
Choose a link to the required Jira instance from the dropdown menu and Authenticate yourself in the remote Jira from a separate browser tab.
Application Links should be pre-configured by a Jira Admin of all the target Jira instances.
Cloud source :
For Cloud sources, you need API token to authenticate yourself on a remote Jira source.
Details how to generate one can be found here
- Once connection is authorized provide & validate JQL query to pull data from external source
You can check samples of possible JQL to select issues from filters, components, assignees etc ( from version 1.0.1, September 2017) Advanced mode provides you access to full support for type-ahead JQL syntax with suggestions relevant for remote Jira source or tick 'Use Application Link' box
Once JQL is verified provide details of your connections and save
- Repeat for all sources
You can change the order of sources by dragging them up/ down
Changing Active / Inactive status
available since version Server: 1.1.0, Cloud 1.0.12-AC
You can change the status of a source, allowing that to be temporarily hidden from the board.